Deckel Machine Factory
The factory of Friedrich Deckel, a firm of machinery makers established in Munich in 1903, was so severely damaged by bombing in 1943 that the production hall had to be completely replaced. As part of the new works, in order to be able to introduce modern manufacturing methods and react to future changes in working processes, the production and administration units were designed to have flexible and extendible open-plan layouts. Construction of the long five-storey production building to house the workshops, transport equipment and sanitary facilities started in 1956/57. The machines were set up to allow them to be moved if required for changes in production flows. As a result, the building has no internal columns. Reinforced concrete provided the structure with the optimum stiffness to withstand the high floor loads, which are carried on prestressed concrete beams. The facade is a sculptural, grey painted reinforced concrete skeleton with window ledges in smooth, white concrete and light metal windows. The set-back roof storey was extensively glazed. The suspended, ultra-slender glass facade of the emergency exit stairwell on the west facade gives the production building a special accent.
Construction of the two-storey production hall followed in 1958/59. The building is of mixed construction. While the ground floor is constructed on a compact 5 x 5 metre column grid, the production hall on the upper floor is a welded steel circular hollow section structure, which allows the generous width and the special feature of the building: the 60-metre-span roof. Its clear spanning space trusses bear on longitudinal trusses, which are supported only at 20-metre centres. The 60° sloping outer surfaces of the main trusses were covered on the south side by aerated concrete slabs and clad with corrugated fibre cement panels. On the north side, the trusses have rubber-sealed double glazed panels which provide optimum light without glare.
The northern part of the multi-storey production building was built in 1960/61. The northern end of this was elegantly terminated in 1962 with a seven-storey administration building, which had a steel skeleton with a reinforced concrete core and a suspended glass facade.